Wednesday, November 03, 2010

I'm Back!

So, I planned a wedding, switched jobs, found some peace of mind... time to get "back on the saddle" again (or whatever "they" say).

I would like to address the stigma attached to working in a restaurant. There is a large population of F&B (food/beverage) employees that use their position as a transition job. They are: going to school, just graduated, it's a second job, etc. I had a very hard time admitting to myself that I am "Just a Waitress" - I cannot tell you how many of my guests ask me "are you in school?" or "what else do you do besides this?"
These, I guess, are valid questions for the uninformed - but I just cannot see myself going into the place where I bank and asking the teller if he/she is in school or working somewhere else as if the job they are doing is not sufficient enough.
Mostly my insecurity with my chosen profession is public driven. I am a college grad, a world traveler, a slightly higher average Joe(sephina), and still, I felt - for a very long time - as if being a server wasn't good enough. Mainly because my guests (and many people whom I tell what I do for a living) treat me like a sub-par workforce employee.
Well, I am not getting any younger - and I am actually getting more and more experience. So much so, that I feel comfortable in calling myself an "expert in my field!" My question now is, why do my guests/acquaintances/society in general, treat me as if I am an idiot while working? and act as if they know better than I?
This will always be the question as long as there are people out there that feel like it is okay to treat service industry professionals as servants. So, I will continue to try to change the world "one guest at a time." Maybe you could help! If you witness a server/bartender/busser/hostess/cook being treated like a sub-par human without rights that is only there to bow down to the high and mighty douche bag customer--- STAND UP FOR THEM!
I AM SERVER, HEAR ME ROAR!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home