Monday, February 01, 2010

Oh..... You must think I do this job because I have no other options.

I was a server for a group of 6 men recently. They all ordered drinks and their meals. A few minutes after they ordered a 7th man arrived. I saw him sit when I was across the restaurant. I then got an extra setting and a menu. As I walked up to the table the greet him, the alpha male at the table announced, "We have another guy here and he is going to need a menu." As he was stating the obvious, I presented the man with his menu. Alpha then proceeded with, "We'll need extra silverware, too." Again, I presented the man with the place setting I already had in my hand. The Alpha then said, "Oh my gosh, she brought it already!" As if I had just done the most miraculous thing all on my own. As if I were a baby taking my first step or a med student completing my first assisted surgery.
Then I realized, this guy thinks that I am a dumb blond that can't get any other job, so I serve sexist men for a living.
So after the man exclaimed in amazement that I "brought the silverware," I said (in a ditsy blond voice with a smile) "It's my job (teehee)." This sent the men into a group laugh with exclamations of "she said it's her job" and "Ha Ha Ha." I let them think I was stupid- I do this sometimes for the customers who need to feel like I'm stupid so I can get better tips.
Serving is my profession. I am a professional at it. I do not get excited when I walk into a bank and the teller deposits my money - I do not think "Oh my gosh, she knew exactly what to do with my deposit slip, AMAZING!" I'm sure these guys were office workers or salesmen or something like that. I just wish that one day I could go to where they work and get excited when the phone rings and they know to answer it.
But I'm Just a Waitress, What do I know?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home