Tuesday, February 02, 2010

We all look the same

I am always reminded of how little respect is given to the people making your meal happen when a person doesn't even know who their server is. I can see how there would be times when this is not the customer's fault. There are lackadaisical servers who would rather fix their lipstick or chitchat in the back than serve their tables. These are the times where a customer has the right to not know who their server is, what they look like, their name is, etc. Other than these times however, not knowing who your server is really just proving that you don't respect them or think you are way too important to need to know who they are.
I work a few days a week with another blonde. We do wear the same uniform. That is the ONLY thing that we have in common (besides being stellar waitresses). So it always amazes me when people at her tables ask me for their bill, or flag me down to get them another beer. Or even to ask me when their food is coming, etc.
Maybe people are like this when they go out. They figure anyone in a shirt with the restaurant logo on it is there for them. Maybe people think they are the most important person in the place, therefore everyone should be at their beckon call.
So, to see if this is the case, me and the blonde sometimes do the Parent Trap thing. We will deliver the bill to each others table, telling the customers, "Thank you so much, it was a pleasure. Have a great day guys!" To this, people barely glance up and mumble "Thanks" or "Yeah" or give you a half-smile nod. There is never a confused look in their eyes as if to say "Who is this new person giving me my bill?" or "Why is OUR waitress not the one here saying this?"
I have decided that some people do not respect their servers. They are almost always the people who demand the most respect FROM their servers. HYPOCRITES!
So, the next time you go out, make a little effort to at least look at your server when he/she is talking to you. Maybe even go so far as to remember their name when they tell you. You might be surprised at how this raises your level of service and makes your night out to your average restaurant a little above average.
But I'm Just a Waitress, What do I Know?

3 Comments:

At February 2, 2010 at 12:28 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Nice blogging girl.Remember these are the same people that dont distingush between busser, host , my section her section etc etc....I dont know why but after waiting tables for 10 plus years in Vegas I cant even put my finger on 1 particular instance of stupidity. They were so often and many that I guess I just got used to it! I am having lots of fun reading. keep up the good work!~WC

 
At February 2, 2010 at 12:34 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Gosh my memory continues to fail me... There was this guy scott that looked nothing like me except that we had the same color hair. Never would it fail that people would mix us up. I would always think to myself.."gosh am I that ugly" Lets just say this Scott fella' was not the best looking guy!

 
At February 2, 2010 at 5:16 PM , Blogger Just a Waitress said...

W: That's awesome (scott story). I really do like my job - I just have to post the bad stuff so I don't explode! I just can't believe that there are adults out there just floating through life like this!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home